This text first appeared in West Level’s Trendy Battle Institute.
We simply accomplished the seventh week of our new nationwide safety class at Stanford – Expertise, Innovation and Nice Energy Competitors. Joe Felter, Raj Shah and I designed the category to cowl how know-how will form the character and employment of all devices of nationwide energy.
In class 1, we realized that nationwide energy is the sum of all of the assets out there to a state to pursue its nationwide goals and pursuits. This energy is wielded by means of a mixture of a rustic’s diplomacy, data, its navy capabilities, financial energy, finance, intelligence, and regulation enforcement. These devices of nationwide energy employed in a “entire of presidency strategy” to advance a state’s pursuits are recognized by the acronym DIME-FIL.
Class 2 targeted on China, the U.S.’s major nice energy competitor. China is utilizing all components of its nationwide energy, e.g. data/ intelligence, its navy would possibly and financial energy in addition to exploiting Western finance and know-how. China’s purpose is to problem and overturn the U.S.-led liberal worldwide order and exchange it with its personal neo-totalitarian mannequin the place China emerges because the dominant regional and international energy.
The third class targeted on Russia, which since 2014 has asserted itself as a competing nice energy. We realized how Russia pursues safety and financial pursuits in parallel with its ideological goals.
The fourth class shifted our focus to the impression industrial applied sciences have on the devices of nationwide energy (DIME-FIL). The primary know-how we examined was semiconductors, and the U.S. dependence on TSMC in Taiwan, for its most superior logic chips.
In the fifth class we examined the impression that AI and Machine Studying will proceed to have on the capabilities and employment of DIME-FIL.
In class six we mentioned unmanned programs and autonomy and the way the arrival of those weapons will change operational ideas and the face of conflict.
Right now’s class: The Second House Age: Nice Energy Competitors in House.
The Chilly Battle: House Race 1.0
House as a Area
Age of Nice Energy Competitors: House Race 2.0
- William J. Broad, “How House Grew to become the Subsequent ‘Nice Energy’ Contest Between the U.S. and China” New York Occasions, Jan. 24, 2021.
- Luke Harding, “The House Race is Again On—However Who Will Win?” Guardian, July 16, 2021.
- Tim Harford, “The CubeSat Revolution Altering the Manner We See the World” BBC Information, July 17, 2019.
- Alexander Bowe, “China’s Pursuit of House Energy Standing and Implications for the US” U.S.-China Financial and Safety Overview Fee, Apr. 11, 2019.
- Greg Autry & Steve Kwast, “America is Shedding the Second House Race to China” International Coverage, Aug. 22, 2019.
America’s House Forces
- “Protection Primer: The USA House Drive” Congressional Analysis Service
- “What’s With All of the U.S. House-Associated Companies” U.S. Division of Protection, Dec. 14, 2020.
- Bryan Bender, “What the House Drive Is, and Isn’t” Politico, Feb. 03, 2021.
- John W. Raymond, “How We’re Constructing a Twenty first-Century House Drive” The Atlantic, Dec. 20, 2020.
- “United States House Drive” U.S. Division of Protection, Feb. 2019.
- “DOD House Technique”, U.S. Division of Protection, 2021.
House Threats & Non-State Actors
- Harsh Vasani, “How China Is Weaponizing Outer House” The Diplomat, Jan. 19, 2017.
- Hanneke Weitering, “Russia Has Launched an Anti-Satellite tv for pc Missile Check, US House Command Says” House.com, Dec. 16, 2020
- Andre Kwok, “The Rising Menace of Cybercrime within the House Area” East Asia Discussion board, Sept. 9, 2021.
Studying Project Questions
Decide one of many under questions and reply in roughly 100 phrases, based mostly on the required readings.
- Describe America’s area property and the function of the U.S. House Drive in defending and using these property. Because the U.S. House Drive continues to develop, what modifications in technique and/or addition to its portfolio of duties would you suggest?
- What’s the biggest present risk to U.S. pursuits in area? What suggestions would you’ve got for the U.S. and its companions to mitigate that risk?
Class 7 – Visitor Speaker
Our visitor speaker was Basic John Raymond, Chief of House Operations. He’s the primary Chief of House Operations, U.S. House Drive. House Drive has three main instructions — House Operations Command, House Programs Command, and House Coaching and Readiness Command.
The House Drive was born as a separate service in December 2019. Beforehand Basic Raymond led re-establishment of U.S. House Command as eleventh U.S. combatant command, and was for a yr the pinnacle of each a service (House Drive) and a combatant command (House Command).
Raymond stated a spotlight for the House Drive is being lean and quick, progressive and unified.
House was as soon as thought of “benign,” largely uninhabited besides by the US and Russia and the Soviet Union. Right now it is much extra crowded and harmful. Raymond identified that the power to function in area is vital not solely to guard U.S. safety, but additionally to energy the U.S. and international economic system, communications, transportation and different important capabilities of on a regular basis life.
“House is clearly a warfighting area and we’re satisfied that if deterrence have been to fail, we’re going to need to struggle and win the battle for area superiority,” he stated.
In case you can’t see the lecture 7 slides click on right here.
Subsequent Week: Cyber
- Our navy depends upon our property in area (satellites) for communication, navigation, situational consciousness (through photograph, radar and digital intelligence satellites) warning and concentrating on
- Our civilian economic system additionally depends upon area property for GPS and communication
- House is now a contested surroundings with China and Russia able to disabling/destroying our satellites
- Utilizing directed vitality (lasers), cyber, digital warfare, floor or space-based kinetic weapons