Disclosure: This submit accommodates affiliate hyperlinks. That signifies that in the event you click on on one in all them and make a purchase order, I’ll earn a fee. Thanks in your assist!
These pink plastic cups appear to seem at each occasion you go to. It looks as if you need to have the ability to recycle them with the remainder of your plastic bottles, however are you able to truly recycle Solo cups?
The reply is NO. Except you reside in a neighborhood that has advised you which you could embody these in your recycling, you shouldn’t put Solo cups in your recycling bin as a result of they’re usually undesirable and never recyclable. These kind of disposable occasion cups are fabricated from #6 plastic (polystyrene), which is identical kind of plastic Styrofoam is fabricated from. Virtually nobody needs this sort of plastic as it’s troublesome and never worthwhile to attempt to recycle it into new merchandise.
How can I make my subsequent occasion extra sustainable?
- Wash out these Solo cups and save for reuse on the subsequent occasion.
- Hire reusable cups. In case you are having a big occasion and want extra cups than you’ve readily available, there are providers that may mean you can hire out extra sturdy cups, plates and plasticware and return after use.
- Make it straightforward to go reusable. An enormous a part of the rationale folks like to make use of these kinds of cups is to save lots of on the cleanup work on the finish, as a result of the disposables are merely thrown within the trash. Reusables are additional work, however you may make it somewhat simpler on your self in the event you fill an enormous Rubbermaid kind tub with soapy water and ask everybody to rinse their cups and plates and put them within the bin to soak. Then it received’t be as troublesome on the finish of the occasion or the subsequent day to wash up.
- Recycle them by way of TerraCycle. In case you are in a office that merely isn’t keen to go the reusable route, you would buy a TerraCycle #6 Inflexible Plastic Cups Zero Waste Field. This can be a mail-in program. After the field is stuffed, you’ll mail to TerraCycle for recycling.
- Purchase compostable cups. Please notice that almost all compostable cups won’t break down in an peculiar yard bin. They’re usually solely “commercially compostable,” that means that they want the excessive warmth situations of a industrial composting facility to completely break down. So this selection solely works in the event you ship your compostables to a composting facility. Purchase compostable cups at Earth Hero.
Go to the Recycling Grasp Information for extra recycling suggestions!