This text first appeared in West Level’s Trendy Battle Institute.
We simply accomplished the fifth week of our new nationwide safety class at Stanford – Know-how, Innovation and Nice Energy Competitors. Joe Felter, Raj Shah and I designed the category to cowl how know-how will form all the weather of nationwide energy (America’s affect and footprint on the world stage).
In class 1, we realized that nationwide energy is the mix of a rustic’s diplomacy, info/intelligence, its navy capabilities, financial energy, finance, intelligence, and regulation enforcement. This “complete of presidency strategy” is understood by the acronym DIME-FIL.
Class 2 targeted on China, the U.S.’s main nice energy competitor. China is utilizing all parts of nationwide energy: diplomacy (smooth energy, alliances, coercion), info/ intelligence, its navy would possibly and financial energy (Belt and Highway Initiative) in addition to exploiting Western finance and know-how. China’s purpose is to problem and overturn the U.S.-led liberal worldwide order and change it with a neo-totalitarian mannequin.
The third class targeted on Russia, which since 2014 has asserted itself as a competing nice energy. We realized how Russia pursues safety and financial pursuits in parallel with its ideological goals. At instances, these aims complement one another. At different instances they conflict, as Russian coverage is run by Vladimir Putin and his political establishments.
The fourth class shifted our focus to the impression business applied sciences have on DIME-FIL. The primary know-how we examined had been semiconductors, the oil of the twenty first century. The U.S. depends on TSMC, positioned in Taiwan, for its most superior logic chips. That is problematic as China claims Taiwan is a province of China.
Right this moment’s class: Synthetic Intelligence / Machine Studying
Introduction to AI
The AI Arms Race: Reality or Fiction?
China’s AI Technique
- Jeffrey Ding, “China’s Present Capabilities, Insurance policies, and Industrial Ecosystem in AI” Testimony earlier than the U.S.-China Financial and Safety Evaluate Fee Listening to on Know-how, Commerce, and Navy-Civil Fusion: China’s Pursuit of Synthetic Intelligence, New Supplies, and New Power, June 7, 2019.
- Helen Toner, “Know-how, Commerce, and Navy-Civil Fusion: China’s Pursuit of Synthetic Intelligence, New Supplies, and New Power” Testimony earlier than the U.S.-China Financial and Safety Evaluate Fee, June 7, 2019.
- Ryan Fedasiuk, Jennifer Melot, Ben Murphy, “Harnessed Lightning, How the Chinese language Navy is Adopting Synthetic Intelligence Heart for Safety and Rising Know-how (CSET)
Russian AI Technique
US AI Technique
Different AI and Nationwide Safety Sources
Studying Task Questions:
Decide one of many beneath questions and reply in roughly 100 phrases, primarily based on the required readings. Please notice that this task might be graded and depend in the direction of course participation.
- How would you characterize the geopolitical AI Arms Race? Is an “arms race” the proper lens by means of which to know this phenomenon, or is there one other option to higher perceive nice energy competitors within the AI area?
- Can the U.S. be taught any classes from China’s AI technique?
Class 5 – Visitor Audio system
Our audio system for our fifth class had been Mike Brown, Nand Mulchandani and Jacqueline Tame.
Mike Brown is the director of the Protection Innovation Unit (DIU) – a Division of Protection group that contracts with business firms to unravel nationwide safety issues. Beforehand Mike was the CEO of Symantec and Quantum.
Jacqueline Tame was the previous Performing Deputy Director of the JAIC and the architect of the JAIC “Gamechanger,” an AI-driven Coverage Evaluation Software.
Mike Brown led off the session with an summary of the Protection Innovation Unit (DIU).
In case you can’t see Mike Brown’s Protection Innovation Unit presentation click on right here.
Key takeaways from Mike’s speak had been that 1) 50 years in the past defense-related R&D made up 36% of worldwide R&D. Right this moment, defense-related R&D is 4%. Key applied sciences wanted by protection immediately are made by business firms (5G, AI, biotech, quantum, entry to area, batteries, and so forth.) 2) The highest tech firms (Fb, Alphabet, Microsoft, Amazon, and Apple) outspend U.S. prime contractors 11 to 1 in R&D ($70.5B versus $6.2B.)
DIU’s function is to search out after which funnel business know-how into the DoD by prototyping, transitioning, and scaling options. They’ve (by DoD requirements) a particularly quick pipeline from drawback curation, to evaluating and deciding on firms, then prototyping tasks and inserting them into DoD packages. AI/MLis without doubt one of the six core areas DIU focuses on (together with area, autonomy, superior power and supplies, cyber and human techniques.) DIU AI/ML has three traces of effort: machine Studying predictions, huge knowledge evaluation, enhanced resolution making.
Gamechanger makes use of AI to deal with an issue solely a authorities may create. The DoD and federal laws have 10’s of hundreds of insurance policies, legal guidelines, laws that inform decision-makers what they will or can not do. These exist in other places on completely different networks and alter nearly every day. Now you can merely sort a pure language question that asks, “Do I’ve the authority do x?” Or, “How should buy this merchandise rapidly?” and so forth.
In case you can’t see the slides, click on right here
Our first dialogue in school (Slide 7) was whether or not Nicholas Chaillan’s (the primary Air Pressure Chief Software program Officer) declare that we’ve got already misplaced the AI battle to China was right.
Slides 9-14 kicked off the dialogue of the geopolitical implications of AI. Given each China and Russia have made a AI a nationwide effort, how will AI impression all elements of DIME (Diplomatic, Intelligence, Navy, and Financial) and nationwide energy? What are the impacts of AI created deep fakes? AI automating picture recognition of satellite tv for pc knowledge? AI creating optimum ideas of operations? AI-tuned cyber-attacks? AI cyber safety? AI sensible/predicative upkeep? and so forth. The place will we first see its impacts? What’s going to our response be?
Class Dialogue Questions: (Slide 15)
- How would you characterize the strengths and weaknesses of the U.S.’s AI Technique?
- How would you advise the Biden Administration to pursue an AI Technique?
Subsequent week: Autonomy and Unmanned Techniques
- AI and machine studying is a vital know-how that may impression all elements of DIME (Diplomatic, Intelligence, Navy, and Financial) and nationwide energy
- A lot of the superior work in AI/ML is occurring in business firms and universities not the DoD
- China and Russia have made AI and machine studying nationwide priorities
- The Protection Innovation Unit (DIU) exists to search out after which funnel business know-how like AI/ML into the DoD
- The Joint Synthetic Intelligence Heart (JAIC) is the focus of the Division of Protection AI technique
Filed beneath: Know-how Innovation and Trendy Battle and Nice Energy Competitors |