This isn’t an exaggeration, this actually occurred. Let me offer you some context: The $1.3 million was an funding examine. The publish was a picture. The funding got here from somebody I’d by no means spoken to earlier than and had seen the publish and despatched me a DM. Since this occurred, I’ve had time to replicate on what made this attainable, and there are some distinct classes, which I’ll share on this story.
However first, just a little background. I run a startup (Stakester), we’re two years previous, we’re in e-sports, so it’s a cool sector, and we’re experiencing some nice person progress. I’ve simply over 7k connections on LinkedIn.
I wasn’t aiming to boost any cash at this stage; we’d simply closed a funding spherical. However we’re a startup, and the reality is we’re all the time elevating, simply possibly not formally. We’d dried up just a little on the eye so I wished to get seen.
I’d realized a useful lesson throughout our final funding spherical: that with regards to getting cash, the chance for buyers to make a large return is every thing, so I wanted to seize their consideration with one thing that confirmed this.
With that in thoughts, right here had been the priorities;
- Present progress.
- Present it’s occurring rapidly.
- Get numerous folks to see it.
- Get numerous the proper folks to see it.
Right here’s how I did it:
- Choose a metric. Doesn’t actually matter which, so long as it’s significant and rising. Make this the spotlight of the publish. I made the picture a easy graph displaying a steep curve.
- Point out a timeframe within the publish that appears brief. The trick right here is to make use of a bigger time interval so it has a decrease quantity. So as an alternative of 4 weeks, 1 month. Half a 12 months, as an alternative of 6 months. It’s because the reader will see the quantity, not the interval.
- Preserve all the info on LinkedIn — if you happen to want a hyperlink, put it within the feedback. LinkedIn prioritizes posts that preserve folks on the positioning. Additionally, add a related hashtag. TOP TIP: the image is prime actual property, however so is your first line, so make it attention-grabbing. Mine, “WARNING. HUGE BRAG BELOW,” was an invite to click on “learn extra.”
- That is the magic: In the event you add somebody right into a publish, as persons are usually well mannered, they are going to virtually actually Prefer it. This implies it’ll present up on their feed. Due to this fact, tag people who find themselves both within the sector you wish to attain, or related to folks which might be. I tagged everybody who since beginning the enterprise has invested, or has raised funding themselves. As a result of all of them could have related networks.
Lesson 1 — Shapes Promote
It doesn’t matter what the graph reveals, simply the form of it. It provides an on the spot emotional response. We see the Covid stats going up, we panic, we see them happening, we calm down. Can we take a look at the numbers and what they signify? Not often. It’s the identical right here, present an attractive curve, persons are going to get excited.
Lesson 2 — Don’t Ask
The second you ask for cash, the tables flip, you lose the facility. As a substitute, make them come to you. Feed that FOMO and so they’ll begin reaching out.
Lesson 3 — Put in The Groundwork
The likelihood of 1 publish getting $1M is, properly, one in 1,000,000. I used to be extraordinarily fortunate, I do know this. However I made myself extra more likely to be fortunate by placing within the groundwork first. I grew my LinkedIn neighborhood, I commented on different folks’s posts so they’re more likely to reciprocate. Your profile could be the making of what you are promoting. Make investments time and vitality into rising it and your probabilities of being fortunate might be exponentially elevated.
And eventually, right here’s the publish.
Just a few stats (on the level of elevating):
- 99 Likes
- 26 Feedback
- 9,866 Views
However these stats are largely meaningless.
The stats that matter:
- 5 chilly DMs from buyers
- 1 deal closed
- $1.3M raised
The way it began…
The way it completed…