About two years in the past I wrote a weblog publish on how to connect with a Energy BI Desktop mannequin from completely different instruments like SSMS, Excel and SQL Server Profiler. An enormous chunk of that weblog publish was about alternative ways of discovering Energy BI Desktop native port. Having the port quantity is essential if you wish to connect with a Energy BI Desktop mannequin from any type of instruments for various functions like monitoring in SQL Server Profiler or analysing the mannequin in Excel. I’m requested a number of occasions right here and there about completely different scen individuals want to search out Energy BI Desktop native port quantity, so I made a decision to dedicate a publish to Energy BI Desktop native port quantity.
While you run Energy BI Desktop, it runs a neighborhood occasion of SSAS Tabular mannequin within the background and it assigns a random port quantity to that native occasion. Subsequently, if you wish to connect with the mannequin to analyse it in Excel you should know that port quantity. There are a number of methods to attain that port quantity which this publish will cowl most of them.
As you might know, Energy BI Desktop is now accessible as a Home windows App that may be put in from Home windows Retailer. On the whole, the primary distinction between the App and the downloaded version from Micrsosoft web site is that you’ll get notification at any time when a more moderen model is offered to obtain. Then it’s a must to manually obtain and set up the newer model in your machine, however, the App can be up to date routinely. However there are another variations which can be out of scope of this text. There is only one distinction which is related to this text which is that Energy BI Desktop creates its non permanent folders in a special location than the Energy BI Desktop App does.
The strategies described on this publish works for each downloaded version and the Retailer version.
· Utilizing DAX Studio
· Tabular Editor
· Energy BI Desktop Non permanent Location
· Command Line (CMD)
The explanation that I clarify completely different strategies is that not all strategies are doable in all environments. You could work at a buyer website that doesn’t can help you set up new software program like DAX Studio on their machines. However you all the time have entry on Energy BI Desktop non permanent recordsdata.
This methodology is the best strategy to discover the Energy BI Desktop native port.
· To start with you want obtain and set up DAX Studio when you don’t have already got it
· Open DAX Studio
· It instantly detects all opened Energy BI Desktop recordsdata that you would be able to choose from the drop-down record
· Choose a desired Energy BI Desktop file then click on “Join”
· You’ll be able to see the native port quantity within the button proper of the DAX Studio window
This methodology is even simpler than DAX Studio.
· It is advisable to obtain and both set up or run the Tabular Editor (you may obtain a transportable model)
· Open Tabular Editor
· Click on “Open a Tabular Mannequin from an current database”
· You’ll be able to see the port quantity related to every of Energy BI Desktop cases within the “Native cases” drop-down record
Everytime you open Energy BI Desktop, it creates some non permanent folders and recordsdata. The non permanent location is completely different for Energy BI Desktop obtain version and the Retailer version.
Energy BI Desktop Native Port in Obtain Version
· Use Run menu and navigate to the next path:
%LocalAppDatapercentMicrosoftPower BI DesktopAnalysisServicesWorkspaces
· In case you have an open occasion of Energy BI Desktop you then’ll discover non permanent a folder like under
· Navigate to “Knowledge” subfolder
· Open “msmdsrv.port.txt” file which incorporates the Energy BI Desktop native port quantity
Energy BI Desktop Native Folder the Retailer Version:
· Use Run menu and navigate to the next path:
%userprofilepercentMicrosoftPower BI Desktop Retailer AppAnalysisServicesWorkspaces
· The remainder is identical as Energy BI Desktop obtain version so you’ll find the “msmdsrv.port.txt” file within the sub-folders
Discovering Energy BI Desktop native port utilizing Home windows Command Immediate (CMD)
- Run Home windows Command Immediate as Administrator
- Copy, paste and run the next command:
TASKLIST /FI “imagename eq msmdsrv.exe” /FI “sessionname eq
- It is best to see one thing like this
- What we want is the PID
- Now run the next command and put the PID quantity you bought from earlier command between citation marks
netstat /ano | findstr “13944”
- The outcomes must be one thing just like the screenshot under which reveals lively connections, their native handle which is native IP handle adopted by the port quantity. And that is what we’re searching for.
Notice: The column names for the consequence desk respectively from left to proper are:
Lively Connection, Native Deal with, Overseas Deal with, State, PID
As I discussed, Lively Connection is the one we’re considering in order that the quantity coming after colon is the port quantity.